After installing the Cognos server for IBM Connections 5.0 together with Oracle JDBC driver, Cognos did not start up although there was no error message in the SystemOut.log. However looking into the Cognos error log ("/opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI/logs/cogserver.log") I saw the following error message:
Warning CM-CFG-5063 A Content Manager configuration error was detected while connecting to the content store. sealing violation: package oracle.jdbc is sealed Runtime Exception stack trace: java.lang.SecurityException: sealing violation: package oracle.jdbc is sealed
The reason for that is that the Cognos application comes with its own Oracle JDBC driver and then there is a collision with the one IBM Connections is using. You will see that file "ojdbc6.jar" in the directory
To resolve the problem you need to remove the JDBC driver from the Cognos application and then redeploy it. Below are the steps I did:
mkdir /tmp/tempcognos/Cognos.ear -p cd /tmp/tempcognos/Cognos.ear cp /opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI/cognos.ear ./cognos_save.ear /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv02/bin/EARExpander.sh -ear cognos_save.ear -operationDir ./Cognos.ear -operation expand -expansionFlags war rm /tmp/tempcognos/Cognos.ear/Cognos.ear/p2pd.war/WEB-INF/lib/ojdbc6.jar /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv02/bin/EARExpander.sh -ear cognos.ear -operationDir ./Cognos.ear -operation collapse mv /opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI/cognos.ear /opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI/cognos.ear.ORG cp ./cognos.ear /opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI/cognos.ear chmod +x /opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI/cognos.ear cd /tmp rm -r /tmp/tempcognos
Then redeploy the new Cognos application:
- Navigate to "/opt/IBM/Cognos/CognosBI" and select "cognos.ear" and click "OK"
- Click "Next":
- For the next panels use the default values and click "Next" and "Finish" at the end:
- If the application has been successfully deployed, click "Save"
- Then resynchronize all nodes and restart cluster "CognosCluster"
- Now there should no longer be a "ojdbc6.jar" in the Cognos directory and the Cognos server should start correctly now.