Within Quickr you can create templates (called “place types”) which you can use to create new places with the same configuration. Below there is a summary of how you create new place types:
- Create a place based on an existing place type which meets your requirements (e.g. Standard place for teams)
- Give this place a name so that you can recognize the place as the master of your new place type (e.g. start the name with “MASTER “. This is important as you will need this master place in case you want to change your place type later.
- Customize the structure (e.g. add/delete/rename folders, add rooms etc.) and the look and feel (e.g. themes etc.) of your place
- Customize members (e.g. add a super user group to the “SuperUsers”, delete all other members from, add standard members/groups to the place (e.g. a group for all users of a company departement etc.)
- If your master place if configured correctly you can configure the place type options (“Customize -> PlaceType Options”)
- Set “Allow PlaceTypes to be created from this place?” to “Yes” and enter a description for this kind of place which will be displayed later in the place type selection list.
- You can also upload an icon (GIF/JPEG) with a size of max. 100x80px and a link to a web page where you can find more information about this place type (e.g. how to use it etc.)
- If you want to have the current members along with their rights copied to any new place you create from this place type set “Include the current members of this place in places created from the PlaceType?” to “Yes”, otherwise to “No”. This is useful to have already a administration group added to the “SuperUsers” in every new team place.
- You can disallow place managers the right to change member information and access rights within the place by setting “Show the Members page? “to “No”.
- You can disallow place managers the right to change the table of content of the place (e.g. adding new folders etc.). For this you have to set “Allow managers to make changes to the table of contents?” to “No”.
- You also can configure what menu items will be displayed in the “Customize” menu. Attention: It seems that this setting cannot be changed in already created places even if you change this in the template later.
- If you have configured all place type options you are ready to copy your master place into a template.
- As an administrator choose “Work with templates” on the Quickr homepage.
- Click “Create PlaceType” and give the place type a descriptive name. You also have to choose from what master team place the place type should be inherited from.
- You then can reorder the place types (e.g. move all you customized place type to the beginning of the liste) and also hide place types which should not be displayed in the list of place types.
- You are now read to create new places based on your newly created place type.
Some other things to consider:
- You can change the configuration of a template later by changing the master template of this place type first. Then you have to edit the place type and choose “Yes” for the option “Update this PlaceType with the latest changes from…”. All changes in the master place will be automatically written to the place type and will be visible for any newly created place.
- You can update already existing places with the new template information by using the QPTOOL command on the Domino console. See here for the possible options
- You cannot create a place type from a place where the expanded memebership was activated
- The size of a place must be less than 1 GB to be used as a place type
- The place which you are using as the source for a place type should NOT be deleted later. Otherwise you will no longer be able to change the design of your place type!!
- You should have a picture for you place type handy (format: GIF / JPEG; size max. 100×80 px)
IBM Lotus Quickr: How to create a new place type (template)?